Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 13: Dinner with Ted

On Wednesday the 18th Tonia and I were invited to dinner by our externship sponsor. He and his wife live in a sort of suburb of the Hague, so he picked us up in his car. I must say, their house is gorgeous. It is an old three story half-house (plus a basement and an attic, so really five stories). As he was explaining to us, it is quite normal to have very tall (and very skinny) houses because all of the Netherlands is so densely populated. The house was located right along a canal, and I think they said they have a boat for when the weather is nice. 


Also, they had so many interesting things in the old house. Ted showed us his "wine cellar" in a corner of the basement which he had organized by the country where the wine came from. Additionally, he had an old antique desk (he said it was probably around 100 years old?) which was gorgeous.  


His wife made one of the most delicious dinners I have ever eaten. Before dinner, we had cheese and some sort of pâté. Dinner consisted of Duck breast, Belgium Endive, delicious potatoes, and a wonderful salad. For dessert we had a sort of upside down apple tart. I will dream of how delicious this dinner was.


After dinner we had coffee and tea and Ted told us about the MIT that he remembered. Tonia and I heard some hilarious stories from his time as a student and later as a Professor. We also shared new stories with him. Overall, it was a great night.



No comments:

Post a Comment